Tips on Getting into Sitting Position

My son is 9 months and doesn’t get into the sitting position on his own yet. He also doesn’t crawl on his hands and knees, but has army crawled since he was 6.5 months. He does pull himself up on furniture, kneel, and likes to walk all around the house with help from anyone who will walk with him. He’s also able to sit for long periods of time once placed in the sitting position, and can get in the sitting position from standing/kneeling. At his 9 month check up last week, the pediatrician said he has great muscle tone and didn’t feel or see any issues that would stop him from sitting up on his own. She said to continue working with him and to check back next month. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help my son with this?

Hi @Julie_Michaels!

Sometimes when there are gaps with certain developmental milestones, it can be helpful to actually take baby through the motions so he learns how to do it.

Here is a great video from @Emily_Whigham_Heisey’s page on Instagram @kinesio_kids showing how to place your hands on your baby’s hips and use toys to help guide his eyes:

Here is a video from our totsontarget Instagram page to show you how to get him onto all fours:

and another from @Emily_Whigham_Heisey’s page :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are all great ideas! I’m attaching a video of how to use the therapy ball to help your little one learn the motor pattern for getting into sitting while also working on strengthening the muscles! I also have a highlight on my Instagram page about sitting!
Getting into sitting

1 Like

This is a great video!

1 Like

@tots-allison @Starfishtherapies thank you for sharing! I’ve been working with him using those suggestions. My son is now sitting up on his own in his crib, but nowhere else. The good news is, that means he can do it!

1 Like

Amazing!!! One step at a time and this is definitely encouraging news :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like