Screen time

Wondering about technology/tablet use with kiddos. We have a 20 month old and another baby on the way. We have deliberately not allowed our son to use screen but I’m wondering how to introduce it appropriately. Are there games or apps you recommend for 2+? I anticipate us using in next summer for a long car trip and once new baby is born for quiet time.

Hey! I know the studies recommend no screens till at least two-I found that difficult so I started with videos on the TV, no a tablet where its up close to the face. Baby Einstein videos are great-they have classical music and toys moving around. There’s no fast movement or sharp lighting, so that might be good start to ease into it.

1 Like

I follow Speech Sisters on IG and they recommended Daniel Tigers Neighborhood cause it has some singing for language development and has really nice messaged. Its the cartoon version of Mr. Rogers-maybe check it out and see what you think.

1 Like

I have heard anecdotally from parents that using tv is better than tablets because it gets really hard to transition off the tablet when time is up because they are holding on to it. I’m not sure if this is helpful or not but I would suggest if you are using it for car rides to have it out of their reach.

I have found that when my kids have their own tablets to they definitely get more absorbed in their shows, but if you do choose to use YouTube, there are many wonderful videos of singing-my kids loved Hoopla Kids-lots of old nursery rhymes and cute cartoon videos to go along with them. I also used the baby Einstein videos and while I was super bored watching them, my toddlers loved them at the time

1 Like

I found this site that has some great recommendations for apps

Hi @Kathryn_Pickett, welcome!

I’ve done some research on the topic and from what I’ve read the pace of the show or game can determine the impact on nervous system. When choosing a television show, choose one that is slower paced with less cuts to the frames to decrease the visual stimulation. For example, Mr. Rogers or Sesame Street has a slower pace than some of the cartoons on Nickelodeon. I would also opt for a television show rather than a hand held device because of the proximity of the visual stimulation and the ability for the child to quickly exit in and out of the program or buff the video based on attention.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like