Potty training at night

I would love to know about night time potty training!! When should we push it?? Is it different for boys and girls? I mean my 3.5 year old boy is totally capable of walking down 2 flights of stairs (right by 3 toilets) to climb in my bed in the middle of the night but can’t seem to stop to potty :thinking:. I should mention he drinks a ton of water throughout but loves big sips right before going to bed. I’m a big water drinker right before bed too so i probably have some habits to change also :joy: anyway- what do y’all think? Thanks for your support and help :slight_smile:

Welcome to our community!!

I know people go about this differently. Many kids are in pull-ups overnight through age 5 or 6 and it’s considered normal. For my kids, I actually put them in underwear overnight and in the beginning there were a few nighttime accidents, but pretty soon they stopped and it rarely ever happened again.

I don’t think there’s a right or wrong, more what works for you and what the child is really capable of

:slight_smile:

Hey Alexis,

I am not a nighttime potty training expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I had a potty training expert as a guest blog write a few months ago, and it was super helpful for me!

I have an almost 4 year old who still wears pull-ups at night, so it’s definitely on my mind, as well. I hope this helps!

What an amazing resource! Thanks for sharing this!

Thank you so much!! This was super helpful and reassuring I’m not alone in this phase :blue_heart::blue_heart:

1 Like

I have a 2.5 year old. She is able to manage her own clothing with toileting. She’s wears pull-ups at night. I recently moved her potty seat into her room right next to her bed (it’s on a mattress liner). It’s the toilet I ask if she needs to use right before bed and right when she wakes up, but I don’t force her l, just ask. There’s been pee in it the last 2 mornings when I went in there. Her pull-up has had some pee in it but it hasn’t been overflowing like it was before.