Occasional slightly Inward feet

Any tips for 6 year olds who still sometimes walk and run with their toes pointed slightly inwards?

Without seeing exactly what they look like, sometimes I find it is because they aren’t using their calves well to push off. Working on leaping and jumping and hopping with push off through the toes can help. Here is a post I wrote a long time ago: https://starfishtherapies.com/2013/08/lazy-feet/
I’m happy to answer more questions though if you have more information on what their running looks like other than just the slight toeing inward. The lack of push off means they have to swing their leg slightly to clear it which means that the foot ends up hitting slightly inward!

Hi Alisa!
Thank you for posting your question!

It first needs to determined where the rotation for either in-toeing or out-toeing is coming from (the foot/ankle/knee/or hip). We often recommend weight bearing activities while in proper alignment to help strengthening the muscles around the joints. (balancing on one foot, squatting, etc.) In some cases, orthotics can be very helpful.

If you are concerned, it may be a good idea to see a local PT to determine exactly what exercises would be right for your daughter’s specific situation.

Lets see if we can get some more contributing advice to help you out!

1 Like