Nut allergy!

I just found out my baby had a tree nut and soy allergy and I’m freaking out. Anyone have any advice for me starting out on this journey?

Hello,

Sorry about the diagnosis. Tree Nuts and Soy are part of the US Top 8 Allergens which will possibly make this easier for you.

1. Determine level of sensitivity. Can food made on shared equipment be consumed.

2. You may need to purchase cookware/bakeware based on #1.

3. Resources. You sound a bit overwhelmed. Avoid online groups at the start as some can be full of opinions you don’t have time for.

-theallergychef.com/help has a newly diagnosed resource you may enjoy
-kidswithfoodallergies.com has resources as well.
-goraise.net is a platform built for people with food allergies especially multiple allergies.
-spokin is an app you will like.
-Nut Free Wok is Sharon Wong. She has cool content but not sure about soy.
Learn the hidden sources of allergens. The goraise.net website has articles on hidden sources.

1. Start simple. If you try to eat a bunch of packaged foods, you’ll want to cry. Stick to the basics for at least a month whilst you begin to understand the journey your on.

Wishing you the best of luck!!
Kathlena
~The Allergy Chef

2 Likes

This is beyond helpful! thank you so much for sharing all these resources. You’re right I am feeling very overwhelmed and my first thought was to find facebook groups, but I appreciate the advice to stay away for a bit until I have a better handle on things myself. I am definitely going to check out your website and the others you mentioned. Again, thank you!

I have a nephew who was diagnosed about 2 months ago with food allergies- peanuts and eggs. How do people know if they have to be cautious about equipment or not? Is that something the allergist determines?

Thank you for this information! We are just about to start solids with my daughter and I’m nervous because of all that I’m hearing regarding allergies to foods. I thought I read somewhere to stay away from specific foods that are known to cause allergic reactions in some kids for as long as possible, but then my friend told me to introduce these foods earlier on. Is that true?

I would talk to your pediatrician. Mine had me introduce them at 6 months. She gave me a list of allergens and told me to do a small amount of the allergen once a day for a week. And then the next week I could move on to the next one. She also told me to have allergy medication nearby because it often presents as hives at first. We chose to introduce peanuts first because I am a huge peanut butter fan and wanted to do that one. I believe the others were dairy, egg, sesame. I might be missing one though.

Hi,

This is determined by severity of reaction. There’s a common misunderstanding about numbers and classes of allergies. The reality is, sometimes the test results don’t match up to the real world.

Example: our dairy allergic child was having “phantom” reactions. As in, reacting mildly to what should be safe. I dug and learned all about facilities, equipment, et al. We eliminated foods made on shared equipment with dairy and the reactions went away.

Not everyone is this sensitive, and not all companies have the same cleaning protocols. Depending on the person, we sometimes suggest that the only food consumed be homemade.

Sorry for the long answer, but there’s no short way to say it :slightly_smiling_face:

Kathlena
~The Allergy Chef

Hello,

You’ll want to look into the LEAP study. Great info. The issue will always be: no two people are the same. There are many ways a person can develop an allergy which changes how you respond and craft a treatment/introduction plan.

You have to also remember that your child cannot talk. I can personally tell you that even tiny amounts of an allergen can cause severe pain. Not everyone has anaphylaxis (another huge misunderstanding).

I’m a bug fan of not experimenting on children IF there are lots of other safe foods to choose from and you’re not working with a rare condition. Then when the child is old enough to fully consent, trial foods.

Should you choose to wait, focus on building a strong immune system and improving gut health. Also research EVERY medical choice you have to make for your child. Even medications etc contain allergens.

Kathlena
~The Allergy Chef

food allergies are so overwhelming. This is a helpful start in understanding. Thanks for taking the time!

1 Like