New dog for my child's anxiety?

My 7 year old son has some social issues-he’s a sweet boy but can be awkward with other kids and it breaks my heart that he has very few friends. I’m thinking about getting him a pet-probably a dog. He loves animals and I’m just thinking it could help him feel less lonely. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

1 Like

We got 2 dogs for the same reason, and overall yes, I would say they have definately helped with anxiety and have brought a great deal of fun and joy to our home. Our first dog, about 5 years ago was a rescue 2 year old, who is calm and gentle with the best demeanor. We just got our second, a rescue puppy a few months ago. We lovehim, but he is not so relaxing. Puppies are cute but a lot of work and overall has increased some of the anxiety in the house. I would say, if you get a dog, get one past the puppy stage, with a personality that matches your family lifestyle and your childs temperment. One who is already somewhat trained and housebroken will significantly decrease your anxiety as well. Good Luck!

1 Like

I think it can be an amazing idea-we got a dog a while ago-I always wanted one and I can say that It’s definitely work. The suggestion to get a trained one is probably really good advice, or get your dog trained early on.

1 Like

I love the idea, but make sure this is something YOU want as well. He’s still young and the novelty will eventually wear off, but if its something that your family would enjoy with the extra benefit of being a companion for your son and helping with his anxiety, then totally go for it.