My toddler is waking up too early and making mornings rough

My 2 year old is suddenly waking up SO early… 5 or 6 at the latest. He wakes up grumpy and groggy but will not go back to sleep. We have tried adjusting bed times and routines but nothing is working. Any ideas on helping him sleep longer?

1 Like

Ahhhh, I’m with you lady! My twins (now almost 9) would wake up in the 5 AM range-sometimes as early as 4:55- and it was draining.

I am not an expert in this area, but looking back, I wish I had left them in their cribs and let them figure out how to settle themselves on their own, either just chilling or going back to sleep, even if I had to let them cry a bit for a few days. I didn’t NEED to get up with them at that hour. For you, it sounds like he’s actually still tired but has just gotten used to this wakeup time. Also, later bedtimes never seemed to do anything, just made them crankier.

One question-is he hungry when he wakes up? If yes, can you give him an extra snack (something healthy) close to bedtime? I’m sure you’ve thought of that, but it was always something I was worried about-I didn’t want to leave my kids crying if they were hungry.

1 Like

@Kbohman Hey there! My daughter was a terrible sleeper and she seemed to hit every sleep regression that was possible :weary: She was also an early-riser, which is exhausting! Here’s a book that I really liked with very gentle strategies to help solve some of those difficult sleep issues.

1 Like

Hi,
My name is Johanna, and I am a certified sleep consultant and owner of Sleep Soundly Consulting. Early waking is a beast for the WHOLE family! It is so hard when a child wakes earlier AND you know he is still exhausted. Waking early can be a sign of an overtired child. One of the best ways address this is a super early bedtime. For the next few weeks, try to get him into bed by 6pm if possible. I know this sounds crazy, but early to bed does NOT equal early rising. The first part of the night is the deepest sleep, and we want him to get the most restorative sleep, and catch up on some much needed sleep. Sometimes work schedules, daycare, or sibling schedules do not allow for a 6pm bedtime. If this is the case, try to get him into bed as early as possible for your family. Also, adding a toddler clock to his room can help him know when it is appropriate to wake. Set it for 6am to start, and you can always make it later once he starts sleeping later. Let me know if you have other questions. Certainly reach out for more help:
johanna@sleepsoundlyconsulting.com

1 Like