Late walker

Hello!
My son is 18.5m old (16.5m adjusted) and just started walking a few days ago. At his 18m well baby visit, ped suggested an eval for PT due to not walking yet. I called for an appt, when he wasn’t walking yet, but the earliest appt they had available wasn’t until August. Would it even be beneficial at that point to get an eval? At 6m he was denied for Early intervention since he was performing at his adjusted age for most skills. He does also crawl up the stairs asymmetrically, preferring to use his left leg to lift himself up to next step. Advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi, that’s great that your son just started walking! Because he is still under 2 the adjusted age is considered and he is on the later end of the range. I do think it could be good to get an evaluation but August seems really far off. Where are you located? There might be other options, especially with the availability of teletherapy.

1 Like

It sounds like with age adjustment your baby is on track. Initial walking range is 10-15 months, but many babies (not preemies) don’t walk till closer to 18. It’s also pretty typical to initially climb up stairs with one leg consistently leading.

Usually early intervention can do evals every 3 months so that does sound like a long delay. You might just want to pay attention to how your baby is progressing over the next few weeks to determine if there are any other concerns

1 Like

Thank you! I am located in the Washington, D.C. area…the neurodevelopment office was through children’s hospital of dc. I will try and see if I can get an appt with my local early intervention though, hopefully they have an opening much sooner.

1 Like

Great! There are also several PT clinics in the DC area. I know Dinosaur Physical Therapy and Skills on the Hill are both in the DC area. I can look for more if you need help but I know my cousin’s family has had great success with early intervention in DC!

2 Likes

I’ve worked with Rebecca, the owner of Dinosaur Physical Therapy. She’s an excellent therapist

1 Like

Sounds good! I will definitely look into it. Thank y’all so much for all the help and education you provide, it is so so appreciated!!

1 Like