Is it normal to say "chouch"?

My toddler often uses the same sound at the beginning and end of words like chouch instead or couch, or gog instead of dog-is that normal?

Hi there! This is a common phonological processing error (a pattern many children use as they’re learning to talk) called assimilation. When children assimilate sounds, they are changing sounds to sound like another sound somewhere else in the word. Another example is “dod” for “dog.” Do you hear your child doing this for other words? Here is a resource for more info! https://www.littlebeespeech.com/resources/pdf/phonological_processes.pdf

1 Like

thank you so much for responding! This link has such great information

@Learnwithchatterboxes I actually have another question… When do lisps typically resolve? both of my children have them :grimacing:

Hi Mary! It depends on the type of lisp. If it’s more like the tongue is coming between the teeth out front and impacting mostly s and z sounds, we want that to resolve by age 4 1/2. If it’s more slushy (lateral lisp) and has errors on sounds like ch, sh, j too, that is not developmental and we’d want to refer to an slp sooner rather than later! Does that make sense?

1 Like

@Learnwithchatterboxes Thank you, that is really helpful! Why do lisps typically occur? Does a larger tongue play a part?

It could! But it’s usually just tongue positioning causing airflow to come out incorrectly. A tongue tie, whether frontal or a posterior could potentially play a part too. Some say that enlarged tonsils and adenoids could contribute to a lisp but I haven’t seen enough research/data to totally confirm that! Only case reports.

This is a very helpful explanation for parents trying to navigate speech issues, thank you! My son is 28 months and fits into the 2 "more severe speech disorder categories… A good chunk of his words start with g (up-gup, song-gone, done-gone, truck-guck) and tries to stick to one syllable words, And usually the end of the word or phrase (turtle-tul, purple-pul,). I keep pointing these things out to his speech therapist, but she seems reluctant to talk about, and said there could be some more serious speech sound disorders but he’s too young to evaluate

Hi there! That is tricky because much of what SLPs work on before age 3 is language and after that, you will notice from that chart I linked that many of those phonological processing errors can be normal until age 3 and some later. Is he primarily in speech-language therapy for language?

No other delays

Gotcha! Here is a picture that shows when speech sounds are typically mastered by so you are on top of it for trying to get some other initial sounds in his speech!image