In need of healthy snack ideas for my kids' lunches!

I need to send my 3 and 5 year olds with 2-3 snacks per day. I don’t mind giving one junky snack, but I want the others to be healthy choices. Any ideas?

I do the same! I usually give cookies :cookie:, chips, pretzels :pretzel: etc. as the “junky” snack, then I give raisins :grapes:, clementines :tangerine:, strawberries :strawberry:, mini cucumbers, :cucumber: pickles, cheese sticks :cheese:, or carrot sticks :carrot:, or cherry tomatoes :tomato: as the healthier options.

1 Like

I’ve found so many healthier options at Trader Joe’s. Definitely check there!!

2 Likes

My kids “junky” option is usually goldfish, animal crackers, or pretzels. Rare occasion chips like pringles.
They also get a combo of: string cheese, cube cheese, yogurt tube, mandarin oranges, celery, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, strawberries, grapes, or blueberries. One of them also likes multi grain crackers here or there

1 Like

These are all great options!

Question-how do you deal when your kids go to friends houses and come home wanting snacks their friends have like chocolate, candy etc? Does that happen?

I love the yogurt tubes and cheese cube options. I never thought of those. Do you put them in the lunch bag with an ice pack or do you think they’re fine at room temp throughout the day?

@lilakole I freeze the yogurt tubes and it’s thaws one the lunchbox and the cheese I have these little containers that have a freeze pack built right into the top. I actually found them at home goods randomly but I’ve seen them on amazon too.
I remembered I also send fruit and grain bars or granola bars sometimes too. I try to switch it up but my kids are big creatures of habit

@tots-allison my kids get plenty of the chocolate etc at other times. Since at school there isn’t a pantry full of other options for them to beg for, they eat what they have so I like to be as healthy as I can for those times.
My big kids (8 and 6) usually have an after school snack of sliced banana or strawberries with a drizzle of chocolate syrup and a little whipped cream. That way we’re both happy, a hefty serving of fruit with just a little sweetness :slight_smile: it’s their favorite

1 Like

Love that after school snack choice!! I’m totally starting that with my kids

1 Like

That does sound delicious!

1 Like

so smart to freeze them!

Also, do you have to send in only nut free snacks? My kids’ school is nut free and I can’t find granola bars that are completely nut free