How to explain OT to my 9 yo

We’ve recently been having an OT to the house for my 9 year old son. After discussing w/ his pediatrician some concerns over ASD she also suggested OT might be beneficial also. He goes along with it just fine bc he knows better then TJ be rude but after she leaves he keeps asking “why do I have to do this?! What’s the point?” And it’s hard to explain.
He’s just started the ASD eval and he’s also not happy about that at all. If he’s diagnosed at all it would be on the high functioning end of the spectrum - most of his issues are social aspects

2 Likes

This is hard. Maybe explain it’s like a teacher. Does he know that he has social challenges? Maybe you could work off of that if it’s something he has already recognized and it could be that they are a teacher or coach to help him with x,y,z? You could also ask the OT how they explain it to kids?

1 Like

He does know he is social challenges but he doesn’t care lol. He has no desire to interact with other kids or go outside to play with everyone. I feel like his age doesn’t help this at all, bound to not want to do anything we would like him to at age 9 lol

1 Like

I would just be totally honest. Even if there are some things he can’t grasp, he’ll understand more than you think he will. I explain things in detail to my 15mo, knowing full well she doesn’t understand EVERYTHING I’m saying, but it makes things easier. I don’t know what his functioning level is, but my brother in law is high functioning and very no-nonsense and technical. We’re very honest with him and have had lots of conversations about his ASD, and it has (over time) something he has come
To understand and it helps him cope when he’s struggling. I would just tell him what an OT does, why they’re coming (explain to him that he’s being evaluated for ASD and what that means) and ask him if he has any questions. it will be good for him and for you! Good luck mama!

2 Likes