How to encourage Walking - Gross Motor Delayed 22month (actual 10 months)

Hello There :slight_smile:

My 22-month-old daughter is in PT for gross motor delays. She was evaluated by the state and the evaluation aged her at around 10-11 months developmentally for walking. I made an appointment for her to see a pediatric orthopedic. She is making progress but will not walk without holding onto our fingers. She prefers to scoot on her bottom. She also has a hard time standing on her own. The state program evaluated her and said" Willow demonstrates low muscle tone with an underlying weakness to her core and all extremities." and also " In standing, she presents bilateral genu
valgus and moderate foot pronation with forefoot abduction and out-toeing of her feet
bilaterally." I’m not completely certain of all these terms. I do know that when she walks she tends to drag her right foot and both of her feet are turned out a bit.

She just started cruising a month ago. Just a bit of back story my daughter never crawled she only scoots on her butt to get around. The PT did mention she might need braces for her feet and ankles.

So the plan is to continue exercises with her at home, and pt 1x a week, and a visit @ the ortho.
I’m really unsure what else I should be doing? Any advice or direction would be so appreciated! I feel a bit overwhelmed and not prepared so I’m hoping to connect with other families who have experience in this.

Thank you,

Hi @jordyn :blush:. I want to help you out with some of those terms.

Low tone means that there’s less tension in the muscles than normal. Think of a hair band that’s a bit stretched out rather than taught the way it should be. People are born with how much tone they have in their muscles and this can’t really change. Strengthen can change and with more strength through exercises for the impacted muscles, it can help improve function.

Genius Valgus mean knock knees, or the knees both coming close together, and bilateral means on both sides of the body. PT is a very good way to make sure you’re doing everything you can to see progress towards better alignment all the way through the legs and feet.

Foot pronation means where the arch should be is somewhat collapsed, or flat footed.

Forefoot abduction means the part of the foot towards the toes turns outwards (away from the middle of the body) and outtoeing goes along with that where the angle of the foot is pointing outwards as well.

Being under the advisement of your local PT is really where to focus. And if the PT and the orthotist think it’s a good idea to get braces or orthotics, that could be very helpful for your daughter to perform wear bearing activities (walking, standing, running) in better alignment which is the goal.

The one thing I want to add the plan of what you mentioned is that crawling is very important in the developmental process. As you go on and your daughter hopefully progresses, try to incorporate crawling into play. You can also continue with activities in standing, practicing squatting, stepping over very small obstacles, trying to grab toys just out of reach when in standing which can all help improve balance and strength.

1 Like

Thank you so much Allison! I really appreciate your message. I will definitely keep working on the crawling. Thank you again - I’m excited to be a part of this community as I learn.

You’re so welcome and we’re happy to have you here!!!