Handedness/Fine Motor Skills

Hi!

I know you’ve posted before about not rushing into teaching handwriting…but any tips/timelines on establishing handedness? My daughter is 4 and still uses both hands to eat and “draw” and “write”. Her grip is not well-developed in either hand, and the same goes for her pictures and writing of her name–not well-developed.

We try to get coloring time in…playdough…plastalina. I’m not sure what else there is to do, and I’m worried about how this will affect her in school next year.

Thank you!!

Hey there, thanks for this question. A clear hand dominance may not emerge until 4-6 years, but we usually start to see a hand preference. Try placing crayons and utensils in the center and see which hand your daughter prefers. This preference usually is an indication of future dominance. As far as the grasp pattern is concerned, tape a piece of paper or a picture to color on the wall or an art easel. This vertical surface while help strengthen the shoulder and arm and the pull of gravity will help to encourage a tripod grasp. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like