Guilt over not nursing

Hey all,

I really tried to nurse my baby, but we were both struggling and I gave up-pretty quickly, at around 2 weeks. I found the nights so hard to do myself, I was stressed that I didn’t know how much he was getting, and I was so sore. Now after being at home all day every day, I’ve been doing lots of googling and I’m feeling sooooo guilty that I didn’t give my baby the best I could. Any other moms feel this way?

I have been nursing so I don’t have the same feelings but I can empathize with feeling guilty in general. I think that you are making the choice that works best for you and your child and I think that is the most important thing. They are being fed and loved and you are being a great mom. Being a mom is hard and I think we have to continually remind ourselves that we are doing a great job of taking care of our little ones.

1 Like

YOU are the best for your child, YOU…not your milk…YOU YOU YOU! I just can’t emphasize that enough. Your love, nurturing, and emotional support are what will help your baby thrive! I think that sense of guilt is natural and the strong opinions of people and the internet don’t help, but the fact that you are exploring those feelings reinforces what an Amazing mom you are! I 100% agree with @Starfishtherapies you did what is right for you and your baby! And i know it’s so hard but my best advice is if you can try to just enjoy your sweet baby and the feedings you have with him/her this is such an imitate time no matter how they get their nutrition! Please know you are doing a wonderful, outstanding, beautiful job and your baby is lucky to have YOU!
And please continue to reach out for support! Thank you @tots-allison for starting this amazing community to help support mamas through this crazy ride of motherhood!

1 Like

Hey mama! You are doing an amazing job and your little one is so lucky to have you as their mama! Although it’s tough, do not feel guilty or doubt yourself one bit! Your mom gut knows what is best for you and your little one. Just because you were unable to continue nursing does not mean you are not giving your baby the best. Enjoy this time! :heart:

1 Like

I have to say, this is such an important conversation for so many parents AND PEDIATRICIANS to see! There is so much pressure on parents today-especially moms. I was actually very turned off then the nurses in the hospital gave me such a hard time about sending my baby to the nursery overnight. The internet is filled with differing perspectives, and you need to follow your own intuition. We’re here for you mama!

2 Likes

I am so happy to see everyone’s responses here! I actually HATED nursing!!! For my twins I pumped and with my middle son, I really wanted to try and I was miserable. A good friend of mine who nursed all her kids was so encouraging and reminded me that formula is made up of good nutrients and there is no shame in that. It really helped me having such support and I hope our answers here provide you with some relief for your stress. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

You all are amazing! Thank you! It’s so hard when there’s so much societal pressure, but hearing from individual moms it’s clear I’m not the only one who feels this way. :green_heart: :green_heart: :green_heart:

1 Like

Lose your guilt mama!! Feeding your baby in the way that makes you both feel the most confident and comfortable is the best thing that you can do for your baby. While many say “ breast is best” this. Does not work for everyone. And feeling like the best mom you can be as equally as important