Early Morning Waking Checklist

If early mornings have become the new norm in your house (especially since the time change), you’ll definitely want to read this. Below are a few of the most common culprits of rising before 6:00 am. Yes, I said 6:00 am, unfortunately anytime after that is considered a fair wake time for your little one, as it is in line with their circadian rhythm. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
:sunny:Their bedroom isn’t dark enough. Even the tiniest sliver of light can make it difficult to fall back asleep, so make sure your child’s bedroom is so dark that they can’t tell whether it is day or night regardless of the time of day.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
:sunny:They are not on an age-appropriate sleep schedule. Make sure your baby is getting the right amount of daytime sleep, appropriate wake windows are being followed and that they’re not going to bed over or under tired. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
:sunny:Early wakings are being reinforced. Any wake ups prior to 6:00 am should be treated as a middle of the night waking, so ensure that the way you respond is not supporting the wake up. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
:sunny:You’re not using white noise. Kids are in their lightest stage of sleep in the early morning hours, so background noises (birds chirping, sirens, a parent showering, etc.), can wake them. Having white noise can drown out these sounds making it easier for them to stay asleep. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
:sunny:Their schedule is shifted to accommodate the early morning wakings. Regardless of what time your little one wakes up, begin their wake window timing from 6:00 am. Doing this will incentivise them to lengthen their morning wake time.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
:sunny:Your child is unable to fall asleep independently. Since sleep is in it’s lightest stage early in the morning, your little one will have a lot of difficulty connecting those early morning sleep cycles if they’re dependent on you to fall asleep.

I hope you find these tips helpful and as always if you need a bit of extra support please reach out to me.

https://www.dreamcometruesleepconsulting.com/

1 Like