Baby speech worry

Hi :slight_smile: I’m new here and actually found this by googling my questions and felt better coming here and making an account for my questions.
My son is 11m old (10 months adjusted, born at 36 weeks).
He is a wild boy and determined to be ahead of the game despite being born with Gastroschisis, spending 2 months in the NICU and being preemie.

My concerns are that my boy was babbling a LOT between 6-9 months for the whole time always with the bububuh and dadada. Even sometimes but rarely “mamama”. Well, I wanna say ever since he’s learned to pull himself up, stand, and now full on WALK around like he does and has been doing for the last entire month almost months and a half…he doesn’t babble anymore. He ONLY blows raspberries. In fact, the only time he DOESNT is when his paci is in his mouth (which is rarely because he isn’t very attached to it…maybe 30 min a day) or when he’s whining or food or asleep. He doesn’t make the bububuh or dadada noises he used to ever. Maybe once in a blue moon for 5 seconds then goes straight back to babbling. I’m so sad and so worried because it’s been a full month going on longer that he has been only blowing raspberries…which he used to do BEFORE he ever babbled around 6 or 7 months old.
I feel as if this is a regression, but I’m not a professional and this is my first baby…I would just like some advice and guidance or reassurance that this is normal and a cause of his interest in mobility…or a phase he will grow out of…or to know since he’s 11m old now and I constantly talk and sing and play with him…if he needs speech therapy intervention because it could be a regression.
Thanks so much for reading and reaching out. I am stressing my sound out badly because ALL of my friends with babies 10-12m are babbling like crazy, yet here’s my Albert only blowing raspberries. Even my sister came over today and said “is that all he does???” Because when ALWAYS does it. Walking around, watching us play games, to respond to me talking to him etc. He laughs and gets irritated and shows clinginess and even learns his new toys with me…so everything else seems perfect…but I’m stressed about his verbal communication…and how it was excelling and seems to have now in the last month, regressed. If this is normal, please tell me.

Thank you.
-H

Hey there @hannah2602, welcome! :slightly_smiling_face: Speech is definitely not my area of practice, but I will tag some amazing speech therapists to see if they have anything to add to the conversation. The only thing I will say is that no matter what, you know your baby best, and if you think something is not right, I would definitely touch base with your Pediatrician. This also may put your mind at ease :heart:
@Twowayspeech @Speechwithjwo @Speechie.Morgan @speechsisters

Hey,

SLP here. First of all, good for you for being so on top of your child. You already seem like a wonderful mama so kudos to you! There are a few things to consider here… first of all, sometimes developments in one area may take a back seat for a little bit of time while other areas are rapidly developing so let’s start there. Being your son has just taken off with his motor skills, it can be he’s put his speech and language skills on pause for a bit to concentrate on the motor developments. Has anything else changed aside from the babble lately? Is it just the “bububu” and “dadada” that is different? If you play a sound game with him in a silly way and model the babble he was doing in the past, what is he doing back? Raspberries? Did he ever imitate those sounds after you modeled them back when he was using them in the past? Is he understanding you? Is there a difference that you see in his ability to comprehend now? How is he when playing with you or others? Will he imitate actions at all like clapping, waving, or high five? If nothing else has changed, I’d give it a little more time to see if he goes back to making those sounds once he becomes a bit more proficient in the motor skills he just acquired and has been working on. If you continue to be concerned, I know as a first time mom that sometimes the only way to get some peace of mind is by having a professional take a look. I don’t know where you live but often many states have early intervention programs that are free of charge that will come do an evaluation. We did this when we had motor concerns with our son and really appreciated the services we got from them. I hope this is helpful and am here to chat if you have any other questions.

1 Like

He’s never yet understood the imitating thing. He just would babble on his own and now that he’s walking and climbing, he just raspberries. Even when I babble to him, he will buzz back at me. He still plays games and laughs and we have fun but he doesn’t do the bububu and dadada that he used to when he was much more stationary… he doesn’t wave or nod yes or no yet either. I’ve noticed MAYBE a couple imitating things like putting the cup into the bigger cup after me or putting the ring on the rod after I do it. But mostly just with toys, not communicative imitations.

1 Like

I feel like it’s hard to give you a straight answer being I haven’t met him or observed him in action. What I suggest is monitoring his ability to understand you in general and seeing if in the next few weeks he starts to babble with those consonant-vowel combinations again once the motor developments have been mastered for a little longer. If you still have concerns, it doesn’t hurt to reach out to the early intervention program in your state/county or a private Speech pathologist to set up an eval to ease your worry! Good luck!

1 Like

Hi! Another SLP here. I am in agreement with Alyssa. It seems you are doing all the right things! I would give it a little longer, but in the mean time, focus on your son understanding what you’re saying/asking. Imitation is very important in learning language as well. Here are a few activities to try: to help with clapping, see if he will bang 2 blocks/toys together, (after you model it). Play “peek a boo”-a lot of children like that. Make sure he’s responding to his name. Other actions such as having him reach up to be picked up or blow kisses. You may need to demonstrate these many times before he gets it. Repetition is key. If you feel he’s not understanding or things aren’t improving with his babbling, it won’t hurt to get him evaluated. You know him best. Good luck!