9 months old and too afraid to crawl

Hey hope all is well! My baby boy just turned 9 months today and he is still not crawling. He’s always hated tummy time and it’s been a struggle to get him to last for more than 20-30 min at a time. At around 7 months, he started going on all fours and moving backwards, but was too afraid to move his arms forward. He just recently discovered how to get from his belly to a sitting position, so now every time he’s on his tummy, he lasts 2 minutes before backing up into a sitting position. My wife and I are afraid that he’s not going to crawling and going to have trouble standing himself up. Do you have any tips? Thank you so much!

Adam

Hi! This is fairly common. I know Tots on Target has a podcast about crawling. Also, my instagram page https://www.instagram.com/starfishtherapies/ Has a highlight on crawling which may be helpful. Do you have stairs? Crawling up stairs is a great way to work on it. Also, trying to crawl over your legs. Get them halfway across and have them finish it to get to something they want. I’m always happy to answer questions as well as you try different things.

Hey @Adammarkoff! The average age for crawling is 8-9 months, but some babies do take a little extra time to get the hang of it. It’s good to hear that he is able to get in and out of sitting and that he’s rocking on all fours-all great signs that he’s building up the strength to get going. The fact that he’s moving himself out of tummy time is fine! It’s all about him learning to use his own muscles to get himself where he wants to be. Transitioning into a sitting position is a great step towards crawling-he’s rotating using his trunk, and using his arms to push up, which are muscles he needs for crawling as well.

Try spreading his toys out all across the floor and give him as much floor time as you can so he has opportunities to practice.

definitely check out @Starfishtherapies instagram highlights-they’re great!

And here’s the link to our podcast on crawling-

Keep us posted on his progress!