6 yo who likes to crash

Hi there my 6 yo likes to crash into couches, chairs bean bag and watch tv upside down. Diagnosed with dyspraxia. Can I do any planned activities to aid this sensory need - to fill his bucket…

This is definitely not my area of expertise although I think my son is going to be a crasher! I know OT mama of twins has lots on sensory because she has boys who do a lot. She give strategies etc. Hopefully that helps!

Hi! I think an obstacle course or movement activities with lots of hopping, crawling, and even balancing incorporated with your child’s favorite toys/activities could help address his sensory needs. Also, calming sensory activities could help him stay regulated. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A suspended equipment or gym ball could also help your child with his/her sensory needs!

1 Like

Hi @Nichola! This is actually very common with so Mann kids who are craving sensory input.

I love setting up opportunities for children to receive strong input through their joints.
Crawling, bear walking, crab walking, yoga, rolling in and out of a blanket like a burrito, crashing onto couch cushions in a controlled way, jumping on a trampoline, doing wall or floor pushups, hopping on one foot, wheelbarrow walking, swinging on monkey bars, walking up a slide, doing somersaults.

These are several activities that can be done together as an obstacle course or individually throughout the day as needed.

The important thing also is to recognize when stimulating sensory activities are needed and when calming activities are needed to help regulate-things like slow rocking in a rocking chair or therapy ball, deep pressure hugs (that the child likes, not forced if not interested), calming music and dim lighting.

Also, sitting with a heavy or weighted blanket on the couch may feel good for your child as well.

Hope these are helpful for you! Seek out an OT consult locally if you feel your child is having trouble regulating throughout the day and can’t perform daily tasks.