4 month old can’t roll from tummy to back

Hi! I have a 4 month old who started rolling over from back to tummy at 3 months old out of nowhere! We stopped swaddling him immediately and he is now in a sleep sack. Ever since we stopped swaddling we haven’t seen him roll, until now (now he’s 4 months old) that I’ve been working with him on rolling both ways (using the totsontarget tips on insta). Now he’s rolling machine, but only rolls back to tummy. This makes nighttime sleep a nightmare because I have to get up several times at night to roll him back over to his back. Any tips on how I can work with him to get him to go tummy to back?

1 Like

Hi! That’s great that your little one is rolling! I do believe once they can roll you can let them sleep on their stomach (hopefully that makes your nights easier!). Here is a post I did with some quick tips on rolling belly to back: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8kY1S2BFQg/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I also have a rolling highlight that has a few more ideas on our instagram account

We recently did a post on rolling too. Hopefully some of these ideas are helpful! https://www.instagram.com/p/CCbc9BhBw39/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

2 Likes

They are thank you! One thing I probably should have mentioned is when he rolls over at night, he just cries and cries. He doesn’t go to sleep which is why I have to go roll him back over to his back. I don’t think he’s comfortable going to sleep on his belly. But I’ll keep working with him. Thank you!

2 Likes

Got it! I had to play the opposite game with my little one. He loved sleeping on his stomach and then would roll onto his back and think it was party time… I finally just ignored him and he eventually learned to go to sleep in both positions (but he wasn’t crying, just partying).

2 Likes

It’s so hard when they wake up crying in the night. @Starfishtherapies is right that once babies roll over independently, most doctors will say you can leave them be-but when they wake up from it, it’s a different story.

I think it’s a good idea for him to spend time lots of time during the day doing tummy time to build up the strength to roll over himself.

If he’s doing well with tummy time, just not rolling, you can help a bit by practicing rolling belly to back-make sure his arms are tucked under his shoulders and not spread wide out by his sides so he is able to push up.

Using similar techniques in our video, help him roll by placing your hands on his hips and guiding him through the motions. Sometimes babies need to feel how to motor plan the movements.

Good luck mama!

2 Likes

These are all great tips, keep up the tummy time! And as a side note, my daughter was similar to your son, she rolled back to tummy first and didn’t roll tummy to back until a couple of months after. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow! What did you do in the meantime as far as night time sleep? Did you let her cry until she got comfortable sleeping on her tummy or did you roll her back over?

She actually stayed sleeping either on her back or her side, so that never seemed to be an issue. Thank goodness :slight_smile:

1 Like