19 month old hates being barefoot on sand and grass

Hi everyone. I’ve recently observed that my 19 month old hates to walk barefoot on grass and sand. He has no problem walking barefoot inside on the carpet or tile. I reached out to early intervention because I believe he has SPD. Other things do not seem to bother him. But it’s to the point where he clings to me and will not let me put him down barefoot or he cries. We live by the beach and I would love to take him there but he’s only happy with he’s on a blanket or chair and has no problem playing with sand as long as his feet aren’t touching it

Hi @Jm15102! Welcome to our community! You came to the right place to discuss this.

It’s not uncommon for toddlers to be wary of new and unfamiliar textures like grass and sand, especially on the feet where there are so many nerves. We love when babies walk barefoot because there are many benefits like sensory exposure and arch development, but if a child is having an adverse reaction, there’s no need to press it.

It may be a good idea to buy water shoes that completely cover the feet like these to help your child feel more comfortable on these surfaces for now: https://www.amazon.com/RUNSIDE-Toddlers-Non-Slip-Barefoot-Lightweight/dp/B08PFP6X82/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=water%2Bshoes%2Bfor%2Btoddler&psr=PDAY&qid=1624360270&s=prime-day&sr=1-8&th=1&psc=1#

@tots-mary @Alinclusivetherapy @BreeMilani @OT-Philippines @OT.ideas.for.littles @OTRoxx9984 @Otholly

Do any of you have suggestions for how to help desensitize the feet?

Thanks so much! I just ordered the water shoes. Also looked up a few recommendations to desensitize his feet.

1 Like

Great! Keep me posted on how it goes and if you find any of the strategies work well, share them to this thread :slight_smile: